As some parts of the country wallow in record breaking lows while others have enjoyed early sunshine, we would like to remind everyone that all weather is gelato weather.
To help us with this we have asked Jun Robles (the executive sous chef from Oven + Shaker in Portland, Oregon) to share with US the recipe he uses for specials at the restaurant.
• 2 cups heavy cream
• 2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
• 2 cups simple syrup (equal parts fine white baking sugar and water, brought to a boil and chilled)
• 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tsp Grand Marnier
• Combine all ingredients in a bowl
• Whisk together
• Spin using a gelato machine (for non-machine alternatives checkout the list by our friends thekitchn.com)
• Store in freezer (yield will be 1.5 quarts)